Simple, delicious and healthy stuffed mushroom recipe
If you like mushrooms, you’ll love this recipe! We’re a fan of stuffed mushrooms because they can be a hearty, healthy meal or a delicious appetizer. And they are easy to make!
To make this dish vegan, just substitute the cheese with vegan cheese, or to make it gluten free, try gluten free breadcrumbs. This recipe uses portobello mushrooms which are full of flavour and texture. They are a great source of protein and have very little fat. These mushrooms taste delicious and filling with very little cheese and no meat!
Vegetable Stuffed Mushrooms
You will need
- An oven
- A pan and stove
- A knife
- Cutting board
- 4 large portabella mushrooms (clean with a damp paper towel and remove stems and gills)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for coating the mushrooms
- Choose your veggies! Some ideas: onion, bell pepper, sundried tomato, zucchini, spinach. Here are how many you would need depending on what you choose:
- Onion – 1 large diced
- Bell pepper – 2 diced
- Sun dried tomatoes – 4-6 chopped
- Zucchini – 2 diced
- Spinach – 1 large handful
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- Pinch of dried oregano
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Dash of ground black pepper
- ¼ cup dried breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat your oven to 375F or 190C degrees. Line a baking sheet or baking pan with parchment paper.
- Using your spoon, gently scoop out the gills on the inside of the mushroom. Using your knife, remove the stalk.
- Rub each mushroom with a small amount of olive oil, then place them on the baking sheet or pan with the stalk side up.
- In a pan with medium heat, add olive oil and then the onions. Add in your diced vegetables and saute for 3 or 4 minutes. If you have zucchini, cook them until they begin to soften. Add the bell peppers and tomatoes after. Once the onions are soft and translucent, add the garlic and cook for one minute. If you are using spinach, add it last.
- Once the spinach wilts, remove the pan from the heat and add the rest of the seasoning ingredients (pepper flakes, black pepper, oregano) including the breadcrumbs and Parmesan. Stir to combine.
- Divide your mixture in 4 with your spoon. Stuff each mushroom with a quarter of the mixture.
- Put your stuffed mushrooms into the oven and back for 35-40 minutes. Bake in the oven for about 35 to 40 minutes. Take a tablespoon of mozzarella and top each mushroom then bake for another 10-12 minutes or until the cheese starts to get golden on top.
That’s it! Serve with a salad and you’re set for a quick, healthy and fulfilling meal.